Throughout my time as a Reiki Master, I have come across several students and other people who are misinformed about learning Reiki. A lot of information that people have heard does not come from original, traditional Reiki and have been added on by teachers in the U.S., many, many years after Reiki was founded by Mikao Usui. To clear up the confusion, here are answers to some of the questions you may have:
1. There is NO authority or official governing or accrediting body for Reiki. There are popular organizations and schools out there who teach Reiki and because of their presence, people seem to think these are the people in charge of Reiki training. They in no way are, at all. All that is required to become a legit, certified Reiki Practitioner is training and attunement from a Reiki Master.
2. The title “Reiki Master Teacher” is not a title in the original form of Reiki. Several years after Mikao Usui founded Reiki, other people began to add the word “Teacher” at the end of the title. Originally, and correctly, the title is just “Reiki Master”. Before other Reiki Masters started adding their own ideas to Reiki, once you became a “Master”, you were already a Teacher. Adding “Teacher” to the title came when someone decided to separate Level 3 into two separate levels, which is NOT part of original Reiki and NOT REQUIRED, at all.
3. You do not need to fast before your Reiki training! Some teachers may suggest or require this, but it is NOT A REQUIREMENT whatsoever.
4. You do not need to wait a set amount of days, weeks, or even hours before receiving your Reiki Master attunement. This is another new idea thrown into Reiki by someone who decided to make their own rules. It is said that Mikao Usui, himself, has actually attuned people to all 3 levels in one day.
5. You do not need to do a set amount of Reiki sessions before becoming a Reiki Master. This is another so-called ‘rule’ that someone decided to throw in and is completely NOT REQUIRED. There are many people who become Reiki Masters only days after becoming a Level 2 practitioner, having only practiced on themselves or their fellow students.
6. You do not need to ‘detox’ after receiving a Reiki attunement. While Reiki is a wonderful, healing and calming energy, it is not going to cause you to have a mental breakdown. It may help you to release old, past negative energy, but this does not require purposefully waiting a set amount of days to let it happen. Another idea added on by someone over time.
7. There are really only 3 levels to Reiki! True Reiki only has 3 levels. Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3 (Reiki Master). Other levels have been added in by certain Reiki Masters for either their own idea of how it should be taught or for financial gain in stretching it out as long as possible, or if they have created their own new lineage or form of Reiki.
8. There is no reason to spend thousands of dollars to become a Reiki Master when plenty of Teachers will do it at an affordable price. There is nothing the thousand dollar class will teach you that you can’t learn in a less expensive class.
9. Half of what is taught in Reiki classes today is not part of original Reiki. Since Reiki came to the U.S., several topics have been added to Reiki training that were not part of Reiki. The use of crystals, psychic surgery, and even a focus on the chakras were not part of it and were added on later by western healers. These extras do make a great compliment to Reiki and are covered in my classes, but they are not a requirement in order to give a Reiki session. There are also only four original Reiki symbols. Any others seen in modern times have come from other lineages or Reiki Masters starting their own healing methods and adding symbols to the original four.
10. There is no need to feel afraid, unworthy or ‘not ready’ to become a Reiki Master. Many people associate the word “Master” with a sense of responsibility or high status. While it can seem like a higher status than a Practitioner, it does not mean you are expected to become a Buddha and it does not make you better than anyone else. Becoming a Reiki Master simply means you have been attuned to the Master Symbol and can attune others to become Reiki practitioners. It is, however, a good idea to do your best to stay clean energetically so that you are a clear conduit for Reiki healing energy.
I teach Reiki Levels 1 & 2 together and the Level 3/Master class at affordable prices. There is nothing you can’t learn with me where you would learn paying more. You also get to learn more about what is part of, and not part of, true Reiki, so that you can share that knowledge with others.